Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lemon Curd

     When life gives you lemons................ Make lemon curd.


     I have had this recipe kicking around for a couple of years. I love lemon, the sharp sour taste is a perfect match to my sweet personality. : ) I've been on a quest to find the ultimate lemon square recipe, my aunt Jean has a great one. In my search, I found this recipe and it's a keeper.


My aunts Deb, Jean (in the red), Rita and my Mom


Lemon Curd
Ingredients
3 eggs
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, strained
1 tablespoon lemon zest
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter cut in pieces
Directions
In a stainless steel bowl whisk together; eggs, sugar and lemon juice until well combined. Cook over a pot of boiling water, you’re making a double boiler, stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of sour cream, 5 to 10 minutes. Whisk continuously so the mixture doesn’t curdle
When it is the consistency you want, remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and butter. Continue whisking another minute or two until the mixture is well combined and the butter has all melted and been incorporated. Place in a covered container. The covered container will prevent a skin forming over the curd as it cools. It will thicken to a consistency like pudding when fully cooled.
This will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.

     I always use fresh lemon juice when I cook and always strain the pulp out, it's a habit from canning.
     Zest your lemons before you squeeze, it doesn't work the other way around. I've tried.
     Whisk continuously, really, otherwise you end up with a lumpy mess.The process is the same as if you were making hollandaise, or creme brulee.
               This is great just with toast or a muffin, as a filling for cupcakes or tarts and is my newest flavour for the thimble cookies. I also just found another name for those too, Dots. As always, happy baking and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".