Sunday, March 13, 2011

Classic raisin oatmeal cookies

     It seems like forever since I did a recipe post. I have been busy tracing family history. Note to self, do not ever attempt to trace eight family histories at the same time. Work is proceeding better than I could have hoped with "cousins" making contact and lots of help.

     I've been updating the picture pages for the family, two beautiful new arrivals, both on my grandparents pages. I will be updating the family photos there, it's a natural place for me to keep track of the family.

    Last but not least, I have been cooking. I tested out grandma Craig's doughnut recipe. Not a success, but not a complete failure either. I actually made a mistake in the recipe so... there will be a do over there. Same thing with Irish soda bread. Still haven't got to the butterscotch pie, maybe next weekend.

     What I did make, while testing other things, was a batch of oatmeal cookies. You've got to have sustenance after all. I love oatmeal cookies and have several recipes but this is my "go to" version. It's simple, tasty and makes a lot. All good things in my book. It is also kind of healthy. Oatmeal is good for helping to lower cholesterol levels and a good source of fiber. Remember,


     As with most of my recipes, the one below is the base. I have never made it like this but will add my variations after the original.

Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients

3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup of chopped pecans

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together beaten eggs, raisins and vanilla. Let sit for one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together, softened butter and the brown and white sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients except the oatmeal and nuts.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar.
Add the egg and raisin mixture.
Add the rolled oats and nuts.
You should have a stiff batter.
Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Makes about 40 cookies.

     There it is, my "never failed yet" oatmeal cookie recipe. These drop cookies are kind of crunchy, kind of chewy, all delicious. To change it up, add dried cranberries or cherries or chocolate chips instead of the raisins. You could also use fresh blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries, just watch the cooking time as they have a higher water content. A little tip here. If you freeze the fresh berries spread out on a cookie sheet, they will stand up to the mixing better than fresh which end up getting crushed. It is purely for aesthetics Add any kind of nut you like, there are hundreds to try. Finally change the nuts to seeds: flax, sunflower or pepitas. It's all good.

I have never used all the sugar, I reduce it by at least 1/2 cup, 1/4 of each.
I don't add the nuts. I do like them, just not in this recipe.
I add two teaspoons of bourbon to the egg mixture when soaking the raisins. The plump, flavourful raisins are the appeal for me in this recipe and the bourbon adds a little something extra. Bourbon and vanilla go really well together but you can also use rum or brandy if you want to try it with alcohol.
I don't add the salt


     I am pretty sure these would freeze well if you wanted to make them ahead of time. Mine never last so I've never tried but there is no reason they wouldn't.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. nice, but a bit too "healthy" :)
    I like to use chocolate and peanut butter instead of nuts and berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you there. I love these with chocolate chips instead of the raisins.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".