Friday, April 27, 2012

Schneewhichen

     Gesundheit. Just kidding. Schneewhichen Kuchen (pronounced Snow White Cake) provided the inspiration for the much anticipated birthday cake for the one and only Movita. That's right, I went back to the story books for inspiration. Again.

     Let's see, Snow White. Evil queen, stop snickering. Fascination with mirrors, I did catch Minion #1 posing and talking to himself in the bathroom mirror. No, I did not tease him mercilessly. Fairest of them all, why that would be the birthday girl herself, Movita. I've seen the bikini pic. Seven dwarves, minion 1 and 2 aren't overly tall but dwarves? Whatever, it's off to work I go.

     I have the real recipe and preparation for this tasty German sheet cake and will post it at some future date. A co worker of mine makes it and it's delicious. Well worth the effort.

     So what is this cake I speak of? The original is white cake, studded with cherries, covered with a thick layer of vanilla, she calls it buttercream, but it's kind of a combination of custard and buttercream, all topped off with chocolate ganache. I don't know the German equivalent for ganache. Mouth wateringly good. But it's a sheet cake about an inch thick, hard to decorate and make all festive like.

     Here is what I did.

    Rather than a sheet, I decided to do two 9 inch rounds. In retrospect I wish I had done three 8 inch ones for a little more height but... I digress. Strangely all of my cake pans have gone MIA so off to Walmart for new ones, because I'm not paying $30 a pan at the baking supply shop. A pound of bacon, ice cream scoop and Mickey Dee's Happy Meal (two Big Macs, large fries) later I returned home ready to bake.

     Rather than use canned or bottled cherries, I used these, sweet cherries in red wine. Far better texture and taste, well, because I made them.
White Cake
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of butter
1 1/2 cup of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Directions
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cake pans, two 9 inch, three 8 inch or a 10x15 rectangle.
In a medium bowl sift flour and baking powder together.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, soft peaks.
In yet another bowl cream together butter and sugar.
Add vanilla.
Gradually add flour mixture and milk, alternating between dry and wet.
Mix well between each addition.
Fold in beaten egg whites.
Fold don't stir, the egg whites provide volume to the cake. Mixing will flatten them.
Pour into prepared pans and bake on centre rack of preheated oven.
Depending on the size of the pans, it will take from 20 to 35 minutes.
Remove when a toothpick or tester comes out clean.
Let cool completely.

     I added the cherries just before putting the cakes in the oven.

The cake batter
Adding the egg whites
All folded and ready to put in pans
Ready for the oven
28 minutes later

     With the cakes cooled, the frosting made and the fondant rolled and shaped, it was just a matter of assembling all the pieces. I'd just like to add, some how the sight of a 200 pound, unshaven, long haired, 6 foot man going into a cake supply shop looking for petal dust or fondant cutters fills the sales ladies hearts with glee. They love me. They're always very chatty and helpful. Oh yeah, now it's called pearl dust, not petal dust. Back to the assembly line.

Ganache in the making
 
     Wait! I almost forgot the chocolate ganche for the filling. Melt about equal parts cream and chocolate over a double boiler. Actually, bring the cream to a simmer, chop the chocolate into pieces while you're waiting. When the cream is hot add the chocolate, put the lid on, remove from heat and let sit about 5 minutes. Stir until smooth then let cool. You can whip it into frosting, use it for a filling, eat it by the spoonful, whatever. In retrospect I wish I had added a tablespoon or two of Amaretto but...it was still good. It's chocolate. Use good stuff. Now back to the assembly line.

Ready to start
No I did not pay for a cake wheel
It's an inexpensive lazy Susan from Ikea
A dam of frosting
That way the filling won't run into the frosting
Clever huh?
No, I didn't come up with that.
Add the ganache
Second layer
Ready for frosting and fondant
The bits and pieces
The weird pineapple shaped things were supposed to be tulips
Minion #1 thought they looked good
I disagreed
Ta da, all done
A spring bouquet of daffodils and hydrangeas just for you
One of the residents of the cat farm
Startled by a parti-coloured dragonfly
Dammit, Movita!
One of Hadley's pigs is in the bushes, spying
I can tell it's one of hers by the glowing evil red eye
Minion 1
Ready to spring into action
Right
Minion 2 with Master 1
Being on her good side, she loans him out to me when she's not around
I work them mercilessly
Being a minion blows
Happy Birthday
Whatever age you decide
You've even got your own Prince Charming in 2.0
Who else would distract bears for you?
You're livin' the dream

     There you have it, my contribution to Movita's big day. I just have to say, if Hadley comes up with some Estonian butter cake that translates into "Rapunzel's Hair" or some such thing, well, let's just say there will be a few less minions and a lot more mulch for the garden. I will plug the leak here at Team O.K. After all, Ginger 2012 is just around the corner.

     Now for all of you out there, breathing a sigh of relief, it's not over yet. There is still the voting to contend with. Stay tuned and I'll keep you updated on the how, when, where and of course I don't have to explain the why of voting for ME. Can't wait to see what everyone came up with.
Movita, it's been a slice


6 comments:

  1. Have I ever told you that I thought my mother was Snow White until I was about seven years old? In my mind, she looked just like her, and I figured it was a family secret or something. Thus, your cake is total perfection. I loves it. I loves it right hard like. Schneewhichen! (My word of the day.)

    Thanks for making my birthday extra awesome...

    xox movita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Rosie is Snow White, that makes you Rose Red doesn't it? Or have I mixed up my fairy tales?
      I'm glad you loves it right hard like, reminds me of my friend Terry and his heavy Newfie brogue.
      Schneewhichen is the best, make sure you draw the word out as long as possible. Sounds so much more impressive than Snow White.
      Hope you have as much fun on your big day as we did here making your cake.

      Delete
  2. Love this cake, I know I've had it at the many birthday parties we attented growing up in Germany. I never knew it was called that. I have always loved it. To me it looks like something called "Donauwellen" but I can't be sure. Regardless, I have always had a thing for cherries in my cakes... love it. Just one thing, it's spelled Schneewittchen... I'm sorry, please don't take it the wrong way, but I just can't help myself... the German grammar/spelling police comes out when I see stuff misspelled!!! :) Good luck. I'm off to vote... for you of course!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, now I get to tell my co worker she can't spell. Not to be shifting blame or anything. Thank you for correcting that, I get a little crazy about stuff like that myself. I've been wondering what you'd think of this cake all week.
      Hurray, a vote for me.

      Delete
  3. i have the same inexpensive ikea lazy susan, best kitchen toy, other than the avocado peel.

    the cake, pre-iced, looks good enough to eat right then and there.

    great entry, i voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lan, I voted for yours as well. Aren't Movita's contest a blast?

      Delete

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoyed your time in the "Kitchen".